Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Awesome slaw with bbq pork - this is a vinegar based slaw - just to let y'all know. This also an OLD recipe! I shred my cabbage by whirling it in the food processor - you could also use prepackaged slaw mix - just still add the onions and sugar
- 2 heads cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup white sugar, 2 tbsp removed and reserved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar, from reserve
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup white vinegar or 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup salad oil, vegetable oil to those not southern
- Combine shredded cabbage, sugar (less 2 tbsp), and onion.
- Bring to a boil in a saucepan the remaining ingredients and pour over cabbage mixture. Chill at least 24 hours.
- NOTE: This was my great-grandmother's recipe, and I've never had a problem boiling the oil, but if you don't think it's a good idea, then heat the other ingredients to a boil and add the oil when you take it off the heat.