Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This quick Southern dish contains no added fat and very little added salt in a spicy tomato sauce. NUTRITION INFO (per 1.5-cup serving) Calories: 255.4 Fat: 4.5 g Carbohydrates: 20.7 g Protein: 33.3 g From SparkPeople.com
- nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chili sauce
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Spray a deep skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Cook chicken in hot skillet, stirring for 3-5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Reduce heat.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, low-sodium chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, Serve over hot cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
This was good, but had a sweet type taste to it that we didn't much like. The overall flavors were nice and i thought the amounts of sauce and vegetables were just right.
Spicy! I loved it! I loved the tomato-y tastes in this! Thanks for the recipe, my husband loved it as well and said "You should make this again!"