Recipe by domesticatedmom
Great Grandmother was known for this one. When she knew we were going to visit she made a big kettle of this mouth watering soup and extra homemade bread and sweet butter. Hillandale Sweet butter is the closest taste to Grammy's. I've been making this soup for 20+yrs. Having had first timers eat this recipe Grammy's way they raved compliments and always came back for 3rd's! I've never been able to eat just one bowl. My youngest daughter (9 yrs) will not eat cabbage, but she finally ate cabbage with this soup and she loved it.
- 2 -3 lbs cabbage, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) cans corned beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can white corn (I like shoepeg in mine)
- 1 1⁄8 lbs baby carrots (faster version canned carrots is fine)
- 10 large russet potatoes, quartered (not canned potatoes please)
Directions See How It's Made
- Empty beef into large soup pot; cover with water and mush it a bit.
- Let come to a boil and stir nicely to get the beef flavor going.
- Add cabbage and fresh carrots.
- add more water to cover and let simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add Potatoes and corn and continue to add small amounts of water to keep enough broth for cooking and flavoring.
- Simmer until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Stir occasionally to ensure equal tenderness.
- Serve in large bowls and lots of cut homemade bread--you're going to need it!
- Its usually a 2 hour prep and cook combined.
- The longer it simmers the better the flavor.