White Trash Cheese Souffle
A "faux" cheese souffle using sliced bread that can be day-old. Because it rests for an hour before cooking, it is a good choice to use with recipes that require prep right before cooking. A childhood favorite. Prep time below includes the hour of resting time.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 5 slices bread, buttered and cubed
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 12 teaspoons pepper
- Alternate layers of bread with cheese in a buttered souffle dish.
- Beat eggs slightly and mix with mustard, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour over bread and cheese.
- Let stand one hour at room temperature.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I actually made this recipe twice. The first time I didn't read the directions well (shame on me), so I wasn't prepared for the hour of sitting. I only let it sit 15 minutes....bad idea. It didn't cook well and we couldn't eat it. It wasn't fair to rate it when I was pretty sure it was my fault, so I remade it following the directions exaclty to great results. Thanks for a simple and yummy dish. Made for PAC Fall 2008.Reply