White Mac & Cheese With Bacon-Herb Cornbread
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs cavatappi pasta
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 16 ounces white cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces fontina
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil and cook pasta until very al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Sprinkle in flour, then whisk together until a paste forms. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until lightly golden, 3-5 minutes. Be careful not to let it burn.
- Add milk to saucepan and whisk until smooth. Continue cooking until very thick, 3-5 minutes more. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese to sauce and stir to melt completely. Stir in half of the crumbled bacon, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cooked pasta, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crumbled cornbread, parsley, sage, rosemary, and remaining bacon. Transfer mac and cheese to a buttered 9x13” baking dish. Top with cornbread mixture, then bake until bubbly at the edges and golden on top, 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!