photo by Brittney_B
- Ready In:
- 15hrs 45mins
1 1/2 Litres
- 2 cups water
- 200 g caster sugar
- 800 g watermelon, rind removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- waffle cone, to serve (optional)
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar completely dissolves. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, place watermelon flesh in a blender (or food processer) and blend until pureed. Strain the puree through a fine sieve into a jug, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible (you should have about 600ml of watermelon juice).
- Add sugar syrup to the watermelon juice and stir until well combined. Pour into an airtight container, cover and place in the freezer for 5 hours or until almost set.
- Roughly break up the sorbet with a metal fork and transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Process briefly until sorbet is smooth and has a soft, icy texture. Return sorbet to the container and place in the freezer for a further 5 hours or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and repeat step 4.
- Repeat step 4 again this time adding the egg whites to the bowl of the food processer and processing until the sorbet is smooth and turns a paler colour. Return the sorbet to the container you intend to store it in and place in the freezer until firm.
- To serve scoop into serving bowls or waffle cones and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 15 year old high school student from Brisbane, Australia. I developed my passion for cooking for others about two years ago and since then have progressed from simply following instructions on the side of a box to cooking fancy meals my whole family can enjoy. I tend to put my own twists on any recipe to create something that is orginal and love nothing more than seeing the food i cook being enjoyed by others. I love music, sport, do hip-hop dancing and take any chance i can to go to the beach. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">