Warm Mexican Crab Dip
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons seeded and chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄2 cup light beer
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package pasturized process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, drained and picked over for shell
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a 4 quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beer and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the cream, cream cheese, and Velveeta, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Stir in lime juice, green onion, cilantro, and chili powder, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne, and cumin, stirring to blend well.
- Gently stir in crab meat, being careful to not break it up a great deal. Transfer to serving bowl. Serve hot with tortilla chips.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!