Waldorf Salad - No Mayonnaise
photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened apple cider
- 2⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups granny smith apples, chopped (or Rome or Gala)
- 2 cups bosc pears, chopped
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, toasted, coarsely chopped or 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted coarsely chopped
- 6 boston lettuce leaves
- Boil cider over high heat in a small saucepan until reduced to 3 tbsp (takes 15 to 20 minutes).
- Allow cider to cool completely (speed this up by refrigerating).
- Mix together the cooled cider, yogurt and cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix the apples, pears, grapes, celery, raisins and nuts in a bowl.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Place a lettuce leaf of each plate and top with Waldorf salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
4 Stars, nice tasting salad, but this needs perfectly ripe pears to taste its best. I boiled the cider for 15 minutes, and ended up with easily solidified cider (like a lollipop). I had difficulty blending my cider into the yogurt, even using my food processor. My first purchase of Bosc pears went bad, and I didn't have time to let the new batch ripen, so please keep that in mind. I used Granny Smith apples, but I believe nicely ripened pears are the key to your enjoyment. Made for Healthy Choices.
see 1 more reviews