Vegetarian Corn Chowder
- Ready In:
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives, fresh & snipped
- Heat butter in large, heavy-based pan.
- Add onions& cook over med-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Add garlic& cumin seeds,& cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add stock& bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes,& reduce heat to simmer 10 minutes.
- Add all the corn,& parsley.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in cheese, salt& pepper to taste,& heat gently, over a low heat, until cheese melts.
- Serve with snipped chives.
- You can make this recipe without the cheese, if you want less fat.
- Or if you're like me, you can use a really old nippy cheddar, for a nice nippy flavour!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Canada, and I work in the restaurant industry (not a chef!). Don't have a favorite cookbook, but I love these internet sites, (especially this one, where you can get the dietary info - that's cool). I'm pretty passionate about animals, and about my health, (regardless of what my beer and cigarette habit might say about me!). The majority of food I like to eat is vegetarian, if not, vegan. I am able to enjoy a good steak every now and again, however. As long as I don't have to cook it. (I hate cooking meat - makes such a mess...) I have recently had a month off - I took the time to backpack around Mexico by myself. Crazy? Nah. Well, maybe...