spicy south indian veggie gravy
- Ready In:
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, carrot beetroot, beans, potato, green peas
- 1 onion
- 1 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon jeera powder
- salt, as per taste
- 2 green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- anise seed
- bay leaf
- cardamom, for seasoning
- Take green chillies,poppy seeds(khus-khus),peppercorns,jeera,fry them and grind them to paste.
- Heat oil in pan,put clove aniseeds ,bay leaf,green chili,ginger garlic paste slit ,chopped onions and fry them till the onions become translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry them.
- Add the paste and chopped veggies,salt,coriander powder,chilly powder,garam masala.
- Allow them to boil until veggies are cooked.
- Now add coconut milk and boil for few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I loved this, but it's not for a beginner chef, the ingredients are not in order, which is quite confusing, not all amounts are specified, and the directions could be clearer. Since I quite often prepare curry, I knew what I should be doing, and this is a lovely recipe, actually quite reminiscent of a Thai curry with the coconut milk. I used veggies from my fridge and pantry, two small sweet potatoes, some cauliflower, some green beans, .. I would have put in some butternut or pumpkin, but didn't have. I let everything simmer in the sauce for longer than suggested, curry is generally better given time for the flavours to develop. Lovely curry, Pavritha! Made for PAC Fall 2009Reply