Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
photo by Sweet Potato Soul
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax tbsp water
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole spelt flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk (or another non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider or 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil save more for frying pancakes (or use Earth Balance to fry)
- Combine the flax and water in a large mixing bow to make the flax egg.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in another large bowl.
- To the flax egg add the soy milk, vinegar, vanilla, sweet potato, and oil and whisk well, until combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Preheat a skillet and melt a couple tablespoons of coconut oil on the surface. Ladle some batter onto the skillet (about ½ cup), and fill with as many pancakes as you can comfortably fit. I can do 3 in my skillet.
- Cook on each side on medium-low heat for about 3 minutes. Flip when the center starts to bubble. Place cooked pancakes onto a clean plate which you can keep warm in the oven at its lowest setting.
- Complete with the remaining batter.
- To serve top the pancakes with maple syrup, vegan tempeh bacon, toasted coconut, nuts or seeds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!