Vegan Sticky Buns
photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 4 cups and 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Filling and topping
- 1⁄2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Make the paste:
- Stir the ¼ cup of flour and 1/3 cup water together in a small pot. Place over a medium heat on the stove and cook until the mixture has thickened into a stiff paste. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Make the dough:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the yeast and lukewarm water. Let it stand for 10 minutes until bubbly. Add the cooled paste you made earlier, the flour, sugar, salt and vegetable oil to the bowl of the stand mixer. With the dough hook attached, knead the dough in the mixer for 6 minutes on a medium speed until smooth and elastic. Pour a little bit of extra oil into the bowl and turn the dough so that the oil coats the dough. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
Make the topping:
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl. Scoop out 1/3 cup of this mixture and place into a separate bowl – to this 1/3 cup of mixture add the maple syrup and stir until smooth then stir in the walnuts.
- Dot this walnut mixture over a deep 9x13-inch baking pan and place into the oven – turn the oven on to 350 F and leave the pan in there until the mixture has melted. Remove from the oven and spread the mixture over the base of the pan so it’s evenly coated.
- To the remaining butter-sugar mixture, add the cinnamon and flour. Stir together until smooth.
Shape the rolls:
- Roll the dough out to a 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread the cinnamon-butter mixture you made earlier over the surface of the dough. Starting at the short edge, roll the dough up into a log. Cut into 12 equal pieces and place cut side down into the prepared baking tray.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 30-40 minutes in a warm place until almost doubled in volume. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the rolls, bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top. Remove from the oven and run a knife around the edges of the buns to loosen then flip out onto a baking tray whilst still hot. Let cool and then serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
www.topwithcinnamon.com Food blogger & cookbook author ('The Savvy Cook' and 'Top with Cinnamon')