Veal Shoulder Stew
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs veal shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1/3 cup other vegetable oil
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cups tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped or (32 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 2 cups beef broth, heated
- 1 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a baggie and add veal, shaking bag to coat veal.Remove veal from baggie and shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium high heat. Add veal in batches and brown on all sides. Transfer veal to large oven proof dish (I used a 3-quart casserole).
- Using string or twine(or unwaxed dental floss works great) tie celery pieces around herb and bay leaf to make a bouquet garni. Add to veal.
- Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to skillet, and cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Pour over veal.
- Dissolve saffron in 1/4 cup of beef broth and then stir into skillet. Add remaining broth and wine to skillet and simmer 5 minutes. Pour over veal.
- Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake for 1 hour.
- Discard bouquet garni.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>