Vanilla Ice Cream With Grape-Nuts
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In 'Scoop' by Ellen Brown; adapted from The Daily Scoop, Barrington, RI
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- kosher salt, a pinch
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup Grape-nuts cereal (or your favorite granola cereal)
- Combine 1 1/2 cups cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture begins to steam; watch it carefully and make sure it does not come to a boil.
- While the mixture heats, combine the remaining cream, milk powder, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla extract in a small bowl, and stir until smooth and both of the powders are dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk the mixture until smooth, and simmer the mixture over very low heat, stirring constantly , for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- If mixture is lumpy, strain it through a sieve.
- Transfer the hot liquid to a storage container and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate the mixture uncovered until it is completely chilled (below 40°).
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to a chilled mixing bowl, and fold in the cereal.
- Serve immediately for a soft ice cream, or transfer the mixture to an airtight storage container and freeze until hard.
- Allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving if frozen solid.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION