Upside Down Apple & Cranberry Coffee Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
An alternative to the traditional Upside Down Pineapple Cake - they'll come back for seconds!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, peeled &, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F, spray 9-inch cake pan with vegetable spray.
- TOPPING: Stir together corn syrup, brown sugar, margarine and cinnamon in the cake pan.
- Place in the oven for 3 minutes or until mixture has melted.
- The mixture should be sticky.
- Place the apples and cranberry on top.
- CAKE: Combine the sugar, apple sauce, oil, egg, egg whites, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl, using a whisk or electric mixer.
- In another bowl, stir together flour and baking powder.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the apple sauce mixture in batches, alternating with the yogurt, making two additions of dry and one of wet, and then stir just until the mixture is combined.
- Spread it over the fruit in the pan.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester comes out dry.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes, and then turn out onto a large platter.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Delicious and perfect for breakfast during the holiday season and a wonderful way to use up leftover egg whites! Mine did take a bit longer to cook closer to 50 minutes but I think my oven is slow and I used a 8-inch round pan. Thanks for sharing! We will be having this again before the holiday season is over!2Reply