Unsweetened Spiced Vinegar
- Ready In:
1/2 gallon (64 (1 tbs.) servings
- 1⁄2 gallon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 pinch mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 whole bay leaves
- Tie the spices in a spice bag or piece of cheesecloth.
- Place vinegar and spice bag in non-reactive (stainless steel) pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook about 10 minutes.
- Store vinegar and spice bag in air-tight plastic or glass container.
- NOTE:*** Although the flavor intensifies with aging, the vinegar is ready to use immediately.
- After about 1 month, remove the bag from the vinegar.
- ***SWEETENED SPICED VINEGAR: To sweeten this recipe, add 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar.
- Good for pickled beets or pickled peaches.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Don't make the mistake I did by halving this recipe. Make the whole amount, because you will want to use it on many things. I didn't have any mace, so put in a pinch of allspice, and I added a 1/4 cup of sugar. Since I didn't wait for a month to try it, I used some on a three bean salad that had my DH smiling. I owe the success of the dish to BeachGirl's delicious vinegar. I can just imagine pickled peaches with this!!!!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a retired computer programmer, teacher, and cookbook author. Hubby and I have a grown daughter & SIL, son & DIL and 2 grandgirls. My favorite hobbies: cooking, Silhouette crafting, sewing, embroidery and wearable art, quilting, genealogy research, reading,