Toscaboard (Swedish Almond Cookies)
- Ready In:
- Crust: Combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter to form coarse meal. Add water and mix just until dough holds together. Divide in half and flatten each piece into a 3X6 inch rectangle. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour or up to a day.
- Position oven rack in centre of oven and preheat to 400ºF.
- Roll one piece of dough out on a lightly floured cloth to form a 6X12 inch rectangle.
- Transfer to a large ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with second piece of dough.
- Prick dough all over with a fork. Fold outer 3/4 inch of pastry over towards centre making a double edge. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Bake until just beginning to colour, about 11-12 minutes, piercing with a fork if they begin to puff up.
- Topping:Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Add sugar, half and half and flour and whisk until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and mix in almonds.
- Immediately divide topping between crusts spreading evenly. Return to 400ºF oven and bake until topping bubbles and is light golden brown, about 15-17 minutes.
- Immediately cut pastries into 2 inch wide strips.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!