An easy and delicious version of the classic "Mexican lasagna." For an extra flourish, alternate spinach tortillas with plain flour or multigrain ones. If you don't like spicy hot food, substitute a can of chopped green chilis for the sliced jalapeños. I like to use a hot chipotle salsa, but a mild one is fine. For a lighter version, use lowfat cheeses.
- Ready In:
- 7 tortillas
- 1 cup cooked black beans (or red, pinto, etc.)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup goat cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (or Mexican mix)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small saucepan, combine beans, salsa, rice, and salt and heat through.
- In another saucepan, thaw the frozen vegetables.
- Add the goat cheese, cream cheese, and jalapeños to the vegetables and heat through.
- Spray a Dutch oven or deep baking dish with oil spray.
- Place one tortilla flat in bottom of baking dish, cover with 1/3 of the bean mixture, and top with 1/4 of the grated cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top and cover with 1/3 of the spinach mixture.
- Repeat, alternating fillings, until you have six layers. Top with the seventh tortilla.
- Pour sauce over all and top with the remaining grated cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and broil until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove from oven; for best results, let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was a tough one to rate. I thought it was ok but my DH took about 3 bites and put the rest back. He couldn't stand the goat cheese. If I make it again I'll substitute an 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese for the cream cheese/goat cheese mixture. I'll also probably cut the recipe in half as this made a LOT for just the two of us. I subbed a can of green chilis for the jalapeños and used brown rice.
I used brown rice, mexi corn instead of plain corn, cut out the goat cheese, forgot the cream cheese, added onion, green onion, pepper jack cheese. I didn't have a dutch over or anything to cover the casserole dish, but it still turned out well. I think next time I'll add ground beef w/ taco seasoning for some extra protein, since I have lapband and need more protein. I will make this dish again.