Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
photo by ModTerrick
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (or more, if preferred)
- 15 1⁄2 ounces pinto beans or 15 1/2 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernel (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄4 cups nonfat cottage cheese or 1 1/4 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (it calls for cheddar, but I like the fiesta blend)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the spices and cook one more minute.
- Stir in beans, corn, and tomato sauce. Remove from heat.
- Spray 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread 4 tortillas over the bottom of the dish. Spoon half the bean mixture over tortillas and spread evenly. Spoon half the cottage cheese over the bean mixture and spread evenly. Evenly sprinkle half the shredded cheese over the cottage cheese. Repeat layers using the remaining tortillas, beans, cottage cheese, and shredded cheese.
- Bake until heated through and cheese is bubbly, about 20 minutes (or a bit more if prepared and refrigerated ahead of time).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thanks for sharing this. I lost that cookbook a long time ago, and this was a go-to recipe. The VT has changed this recipe over time, and their current "Mexican Lasagna" is nothing like this. In fact, this is slightly different than the one I remember--instructions were to microwave on high for 15 minutes. Which, surprisingly, works very well. I think otherwise this recipe is the same, so if you want to avoid heating up the kitchen, try it in the microwave.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an Education Major at UNT. I love dogs and cooking, and sometimes I even cook for my dogs... ;) My husband and I recently married on October 3, 2008!