Tomato, Mushroom and Chickpea Stew
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is my take on a recent Vegetarian Times recipe. This is so hearty and delicious, it can make you forget about steak! Better hope for leftovers; this is so tasty on Italian bread as a sandwich the next day!
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package fresh mushrooms, cleaned and chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon capers (packed in salt)
- 1⁄2 cup oil cured black olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Cook onions over medium-low heat until translucent, but not golden.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, cook another 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar, cook 3-4 minutes more, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, capers, olives, oregano, S&P.
- Cook about 15 minutes more.
- Serve over rice or orzo.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I *love* chickpeas, so it's no wonder this went down a treat! I only used 2 ts of olive oil, but apart from that, followed the recipe. Mushrooms come in two package sizes here: 170g and 300g, and I chose to use the smaller one, which was quite enough! I was also not sure if I should use fresh or dried oregano, but as I was out of fresh anyway, the decision was made for me. ;-) I seasoned the dish quite generously with salt and pepper, and served it over basmati rice. What a lovely meal! The only thing I'll change next time is to use some other spices too, perhaps cumin and coriander cooked with the onions?Reply