The Ultimate Sugar Cookies
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe is from high school home economics. We used to sell these cookies frosted for Valentine's Day. It makes a darn good cookie. Feel free to use butter or margarine in place of shortening.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 9mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup or 1/4 cup pancake syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 375.
- Combine sugar and shortening in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add eggs, syrup, and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add gradually to creamed mixture at low speed.
- Mix until well blended.
- Divide dough into quarters.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to roll.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of flour on large sheet of waxed paper.
- Flatten dough slightly, turn over, and cover with another sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll dough into 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out with floured cutter.
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with decors or leave plain to frost when cooled.
- Bake for 5 to 9 minutes (bake smaller, thinner cutouts closer 5 minutes and larger cutouts closer to 9 minutes).
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet.
- Remove to counter, cool, and frost if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION