The $25,000 Apple Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is the pie that I won a $25,000 Scholarship to the Culinary Institute of America with.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 6 large apples, Braeburn
- 5 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour, reserved
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 double crust pie crust (see my master crust recipe)
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 450˚ Fahrenheit.
- Juice lemon into large bowl, zest one-half and reserve.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour to a small bowl. Pit and chop dates into 1/4 inch pieces and toss to coat with flour. Sift to remove excess flour.
- Chop walnuts and add to dates.
- Core and peel apples. Quarter and cut into 1/4 inch slices starting at stem end working toward blossom end. As apples are sliced add them into the lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and lemon zest together. Sprinkle half over apples and mix well, add balance and mix again. Refrigerate until crust is rolled and placed in pie pan.
- Place apple mixture in prepared crust and cover with second crust. Cut vents to allow steam to escape. Optionally, cut apple leaf shapes from crust trimmings and add to top securing with daub of water. Brush top of pie with half and half, sprinkle with very light dusting of sugar.
- Bake at 450˚ for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350˚ and finish for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly. If crust starts to brown too soon cover loosely with aluminum foil and remove for last 8 to 10 minutes of baking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION