I got this recipe over thirty years ago from my stepmom and have tweaked it a bit over the years to suit our tastes. It was a favorite of my boys while they were growing up and they still enjoy it! You can substitute Rotel tomatoes for part or all of the tomatoes if you like it spicier!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (I use Uncle Ben's Converted Original)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (I use Gebhardt's)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Spray a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan heat the olive oil; add the onions, garlic and bell pepper and saute until the onions are limp, about 10 minutes.Remove from heat and put onion mixture in the prepared casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan, saute the ground beef over medium-high heat until browned.
- Add beef to the casserole dish.
- Add the rice, tomatoes and their juices,salt,pepper,basil, oregano,cumin, and chili powder to the casserole dish and mix until well combined.
- Cover casserole dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover casserole and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with a sida salad and crusty rolls.