The great thing about Texas Hash is that you can adjust the seasonings and other ingredients to suit your taste preferences. So it can gave be as hot or mild as your taste buds will tolerate. We serve this with thick slices of Texas Toast that we lightly toast during the last several minutes that the Texas Hash is baking.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 15 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley
- Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with a cooking spray (Pam, or similar); set aside. Preheat oven to 375º.
- Sauté the beef, onion and celery in a large skillet over medium heat until no pink remains in the beef and the onions are clear. Place the meat mixture in a colander to let the excess grease drain.
- Return the meat mixture to the skillet. Add the tomatoes, green pepper, rice, garlic and all remaining ingredients (spices/herbs) to the skillet. Stir well.
- Pour the meat/rice mixture into the prepared 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover the baking dish, and bake in a 375º oven for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and soft.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was great! Even my fussiest of children ate it - and he never eats anything with tomatoes in it! I used extra onion, capsicum, and celery. I also added an extra 1/4 cup of rice, and some homemade tomato sauce, and about 1/2 cup water. I had to increase the cooking time, it took closer to 1 hour to cook the rice, but I think that was because I hadn't covered the dish tightly enough with foil. Because I was keeping it mild for the kids, I only added the specified amount of chilli powder, but sprinkled 1 section with sliced jalepeno chillies for us. We served this with Parmesan Toast ( Recipe #381491 )and the kids had a little grated cheese on theirs! We will make this again. [Made for PRMR]
Awesome! I asked DH if he wanted me to make it again and he said yeah, tomorrow! Big hit here. I want to make more of this and freeze it for OAMC (maybe thaw and add the rice before baking rather than freezing the rice). I use a whole onion, 2 celery stalks, a whole green and red pepper and added a can of green chilis. I skipped on the salt and doubled the chili powder.