Taktouka - Moroccan Tomato and Pepper Salad
- Ready In:
- 2 large sweet green peppers such as bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, about 2 cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caster sugar
- Preheat grill or grill pan to high.
- • Place the green peppers on grill and turn occasionally every 3 to 4 minutes until each side is scorched (lightly burned) and tender.
- • Remove the green peppers from the grill and set aside to cool.
- • Meanwhile, peel, deseed, and roughly chop the tomatoes into 1 inch pieces.
- • Once the green peppers have reached room temperature, peel and deseed and chop them into 1 inch pieces.
- • In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat and add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, spices, herbs, salt and sugar. Cover with a lid for 10 minutes until the tomatoes have softened. Stir occasionally.
- • Uncover, add the chopped green peppers and mix all the ingredients together. Leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes until all the liquids evaporate.
- • Enjoy warm or cold, as a dip with bread, a side, or a filling in a sandwich!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a wonderful dip! I made this as part of an appetizer tray at the last minute, because some of my guests don't like eggplant. Everyone loved it and so did I... the grilled peppers really add to the flavor, and I can see using this in a variety of ways! Thanks for posting - made for SWT 2019 The Traveling Tastebuds