Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is an old favorite that I've started making again. Once you get past baking the sweet potatoes (you can also do this in the microwave to save time), it's very easy. One of my favorite comfort foods!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake sweet potatoes until soft when pierced with a knife, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Peel, and discard skins.
- Reduce the heat to 350.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine cornmeal, milk, butter, brown sugar, spices, salt, and 1 cup water.
- Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Butter a two-quart baking dish.
- Place cornmeal mixture, sweet potatoes, flour, honey, eggs, and cream in a food processor.
- Process until smooth, then pour into the dish.
- Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Oh, Mirj...mere words don't do this one justice! I've never been a fan of sweet potato casseroles for Thanksgiving, because they all have marshmallows (which I hate!). This was awesome, and it will definately be on my Thanksgiving table this year! I wouldn't change a thing! Made this yesterday and took some to work and my co-workers were like vultures once they got a taste. My boss took one bite, and the look of rapture on her face reminded me of the famous Meg Ryan scene in "When Harry Met Sally!" Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe!17Reply