Sweet Pepper Rice
photo by RedJim
- Ready In:
- 1 cup basmati rice (I like to use brown basmati)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (or veg. broth)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (or yellow pepper) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 -3 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped (or parsley)
- Rinse the rice well. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet that has a tight fitting lid. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoons salt; saute over medium heat about 5 mins., until the onion is soft. Add the garlic and wine(or veg. broth) and cook 1-2 minutes , until the pan is nearly dry. Follow with the bell peppers(and chlies if using), 1/2 teaspoons salt, paprika, and a few pinches of cayenne, and the black pepper. Stir in the drained rice and saute with the onions and peppers until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the boiling water over, making sure that is the rice is covered. When the water returns to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the pan and cook until rice is tender, just under 20 mins.(longer for brown rice).
- Gently stir in the cilantro and serve. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tasty. I used white Basmati rice, a good extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, to taste, homemade chicken stock in place of the dry white wine, orange bell pepper, freshly ground black pepper, fresh cilantro, plus the rest of the ingredients. I did not boil my water before adding it to the rice. I cooked the amount of time I usually do for the rice I was using which was not 20 minutes, then turned off the heat and left it covered at least 5 minutes before serving as I always do. Made for Veggie Swap 36 ~ July 2011.