Sweet Bread Machine Spelt Challah
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 eggs (check for blood)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- ground flax seeds, to taste (optional)
- 3 2⁄3 cups spelt flour
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast
- raisins (optional)
- Put in the ingredients into your breadmachine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select 'dough cycle'.
- In my bread machine, I am able to add in raisins after the first mixing - it beeps. Check your machine for directions on adding ingredients in after starting the dough cycle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- When taking out dough, if too sticky, roll in flour to ease shaping.
- Braid loaves and place in oiled baking pan (I recommend 8x4 non-stick).
- Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes. Can skip this step if in a rush.
- Coat top with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds, if desired.
- Approximate bake time: One challah -. 45 minutes. Two challahs -35 minutes. Three challahs - 25 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!