- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh rhubarb or 1 1/2 cups frozen rhubarb, thawed and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 -4 teaspoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 8x8x2"-inch baking pan with foil, allowing foil to extend over edges of pan. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- In bowl stir together oats, flour, and the 3/4 cup sugar. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (use fingers, if necessary, to break up mixture). Remove 1 1/2 cups of oat mixture; set aside. Press remaining oat mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in medium saucepan combine rhubarb, the 1/3 cup sugar, water, and ginger. Cook and stir over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until filling is thickened and bubbly. Stir in chopped strawberries. Remove 1/2 cup of filling; cover and set aside. Carefully spoon remaining filling over hot baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture, pressing lightly into filling.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes more or until top is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool in pan on wire rack. Lift from pan using foil. Carefully pull foil away from sides. Cut in bars. Top each with a spoonful of reserved filling. Drizzle with Ginger Icing just before serving.
- Ginger Icing: In small bowl stir together powdered sugar, ground ginger, and enough orange juice to make of drizzling consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Rates 5 stars when fresh-baked, but not so good the next day. Just right sweet-tart flavor. I was leery of the ginger, but I think the ginger just enhances the rhubarb flavor. I found parchment paper used in place of the foil works very well. My only complaint is that just 18 hours after baking, the bars had lost their crunch and were rather soggy (although still tasty).
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Square Meals Make Round People - Author Unknown <br /><br />Do It With Love---It Will Taste Better - Author Unknown <br /><br />I joined zaar in 2002 but I really didn't use it much on until 2006 after my computer crashed and I lost all my unsaved recipes. Now I post all recipes I've tried or would like to try. I'm actually making it my goal to try almost all the recipes I've posted as soon as I can. I love food and I love to eat and try different recipes. My favorite course is dessert. I love sweets! This leads me to that I did have Gastric Bypass surgery on July 25th 2008. On that note I love baking and cooking a priceless gift passed down from my grammy who I dearly loved and miss deeply. My grammy passed away 1/15/07. She was a wonderful cook and baker and taught me many things and the most valueable things was how to be a wonderful cook and baker like her. I really enjoy searching for new recipes especially here on Zaar. I'm always finding and adding to my cookbook new and exciting recipes. I also enjoy posting recipes here on Zaar as well. I really love collecting different cookbooks. I have over a 100 and growing! I collect mostly Taste Of Home & community cookbooks. The minute I get a cookbook home I sit down and I read my cookbooks from front to back like novels. I work for the Elmira City School District and YWCA. I'm raising my 8 yrs old newphew. I'm a part time college student studing Early Childhood Education, but taking time off and hoping to return soon. I live in Elmira, New York where famous writer Mark Twain did some of his writing and he once lived. I have 1 cats Samantha and 1 dog our newest member MOO MOO (my nieces dog) who are my children as I do not have any human children of my own. I lost four of my very dear children (kitty's) Callie June 2007, Miss Kitty in March 2010, my dog Angel in December 2010, and my other cat Chase in September 2011. I'm recently married on August 12th 2010. I love spending time with my niece 9 yrs old and my newphews 7 & 8 yrs old. I enjoy couponing and trading coupons. I love the internet as there's so much to look at online even though you know where I spend most of my time! I enjoy going to yard sales and estate sales every spring - fall. I love gardening and have many different pretty flowers.</p> <p><br /><br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/CLC2.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg alt= /></p> <p><img src=http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy17/ZaarBrenda/Participation3-1.jpg alt=http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy17/ZaarBrenda/Participation3-1.jpg /></p> <p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/blacktoesPAC2011.png alt= /><br /><br />My Star Ratings: <br /><br />1 * star rating is my family did not like it and we will not make it again. <br /><br />2 ** star rating is my family thought it was ok and we might or might not make it again. <br /><br />3 *** star rating my family liked or really liked it and we probably will make it again. <br /><br />4 **** star rating is my family loved or really loved it and we will have it again. <br /><br />5 ***** star rating is my family thinks it's outstanding and we could have it again tomorrow. <br /><br />No star rating is my family has not tried it but would like to try it.</p>