Steamed Whole Wheat Flour Cake - Indian Stlye
photo by CookingJingalala
- Ready In:
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup water (warm)
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons sugar or 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- Roast the wheat flour until it changes the color. When you feel the roasted smell, the flour should have been roasted thoroughly. Take time and care during this roasting period since the flour gets heated very easily.
- Mix salt in warm water. When the flour is completely cooled to room temperature, sprinkle water little by little to the flour and scribble the flour with fingers.
- Keep sprinkling and scribbling continuously until nice small granules are formed out of the flour.
- Pre-heat your idli-cooker (or a puttu pipe), along with the idli cloth spread in the idli plate. When the granuled flour is ready, spread them in the idli plate and steam them in medium high. 5 mins after in stove, reduce the flame to low and steam for 10 more minutes.
- You will feel a nice cooked puttu smell from the cooker. Also, if you touch the steamed puttu, it will not be sticky. Remove them from stove and spread them in a wide mouthed vesse.
- After some 3 mins, add sugar, freshly grated coconut and gingelly or sesame oil. Mix them up well.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!