Squash-Rice Casserole (Cooking Light)
photo by margot_hanson_86725
- Ready In:
8 1 cup portions
- 8 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven, bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently.
- Spoon into 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil for 1 minute or until lightly browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I had the privilege of growing up in Ethiopia and Ghana as a young child, settling into the Charlotte, North Carolina area as a teen, and now my husband and I are missionaries living in southwest Germany. My parents live in Kenya and my sister lives in the Middle East. Family reunion cookouts are FUN! I’ve got a wonderful husband and a 8 year old son. I love traveling (go figure!), reading historical fiction, archeology and action movies. We all love to eat! My dh is more of a meat and potato’s guy, but I’ve introduced him to all kinds of eclectic foods. <a href="http://easyhitcounters.com/stats.php?site=kristaroes" target="_top"><img border="0" alt="Free Hit Counters" src="http://beta.easyhitcounters.com/counter/index.php?u=kristaroes&s=party" ALIGN="middle" HSPACE="4" VSPACE="2"></a> <a href="http://easyhitcounters.com/" target="_top">Free Counter</a> Some Contests I've participated in: <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"><img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/zaarcookbooktaggame.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TEXMEXstickr.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"><img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/MedSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/IRecommendTagGa_WonderFall-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/BeyondburgersST.jpg"> <img src="http://star.walagata.com/w/flower753/soup2.jpg">