I found this recipe in a Southern Living Magazine. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 round buttery crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup)
- Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender.
- Drain well; gently press between paper towels.
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, cheese, and next 4 ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter.
- Stir together melted butter and crushed crackers; sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is a wonderful recipe. I did just use 1 egg and 1 tsp sugar. I had never tried mayonnaise or sugar in a sqaush casserole so I was alittle nervous of the outcome but it didn't seem to change the taste. It was delicious!! I love the crispy cracker topping too. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.