Spinach and Garlic
photo by Debbwl
- Ready In:
- Put spinach in a salad spinner and dry well. (or use paper towels). Remove stalks if any.
- If using large leaves, roll up tightly and cut crossway in wide strips. (if using baby leave alone).
- Heat wok to medium heat. Add sesame seeds, and dry fry stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add oil to wok and swirl around. When hot, add the salt, spinach and garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes until the spinach just wilts a bit and the leaves are coated with oil.
- Sprinkle over dry-heated sesame seeds and serve immediately.
- I love this with some naan bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
For history buffs, this was Michael Angelo's favorite dish, but , with a few changes.<br/>Olive oil, crushed garlic cloves (the more the better), fresh leafy spinach (rinsed), and a sprinkle of coarsely ground salt. All these simple ingredients cooked in that order make an absolutely fantastic AND healthy side dish. I sometimes make it a main dish with a really good, crusty loaf of bread and a glass of wine....mmmmmmm.
It just goes to show that with only a few ingredients one can prepare a magical, memorable dish. I made a small batch of this to go with our scrambled eggs for breakfast yesterday. It was a winning combination. For the oil, I chose Spectrum's regular sesame oil (not toasted) and only lightly wilted the baby spinach about 10-15 seconds. My husband has requested I make this again very soon! Reviewed for Veg Tag February. Thanks for posting!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have been a member of food.com (Recipezaar) since January 2007. . I love to photograph food and have reviewed almost 1500 recipes. I used to be a forum host here for many years, but now - all that has gone away. Memories are all that exist. I hope you enjoy any one of my recipes and make it your own. Thanks for visiting my page.