Spicy Srilankan Rice
- Ready In:
- 3 cups rice (Cooked in 5 cups water and 1 tsp. Salt)
- 1 large carrot (cut in small thin sticks)
- 1 medium potato (cut in small thin sticks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic, cut into small pieces
- 1 green chili pepper, cut into small pieces
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cardamoms (opened and skins removed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Boil rice with 5 cups water (with one teaspoon salt added.)
- Steam until cooked. Once cooked cool rice.
- In a large bowl, mix all the vegetables with the spices (cinnamon sticks, cardamoms, turmeric and salt.)
- Add oil to a large pot.
- When oil is hot, add vegetables and soy sauce and cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add raisons and removed from heat.
- Place one layer of rice in a large glass dish and then add one layer of vegetable mixture and mix with a small spoon. Keep adding layers until evenly mixed. Place back into pot to keep warm until its time to serve.
- This makes a huge amount and looks beautiful when served.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!