Southwestern Quinoa Salad
A bit spicy and packed with protein. Sometimes I add grilled chicken to make it a meal.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup seedless cucumber, diced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Spread on a baking sheet to cool.
- Mix cooled quinoa with vegetables and beans.
- Blend dressing ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Mix dressing with quinoa.
- Chill and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I'm sorry, this is not a review but a question: Do you blend all of the dressing ingredients? I ask because I believe that the chilies in adobo sauce are whole. If I am incorrect, please forgive me and let me know. I have bought these in the past and the chilies were whole. This is why I am asking. Thank you.Reply
I am always looking for new ways to fix quinoa, so I was glad to come upon this recipe. I initially made it as written except that I increased the tomato to 1/2 cup, and chopped the onion instead of leaving it in slices. After letting the salad chill, it had a good basic flavor but I felt that it needed some tweaking. I added a little olive oil as it seemed a little dry. Also, I added some additional salt, some black pepper, and a little sugar. The end result was a salad I will definitely make again. We really loved the zinginess that the chipotle pepper added. Thank you for sharing this great salad. Made for My-3-Chefs.Reply
see 1 more