photo by berry271
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chunky salsa (home made or your favorite in a jar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 flavored 10-inch flour tortillas (tomato/basil, jalapeno/cilantro, or spinach are some kinds I can find in stores here)
- lavash bread, works well also
- 1 (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, shredded cheese, scallion, salsa, cilantro and cumin and mix well.
- Spread mixture evenly over the two flour tortillas- be sure to reach to the ends.
- Place a single layer of the baby spinach leaves evenly over the crem cheese mixture.
- Roll the tortillas tightly.
- This step is important and will give the"pinwheel" look to your appetizers.
- Wrap each roll in plastic wrap, and chill for at least an hour, or up to 8 hours.
- After rolls are chilled, unwrap and cut each one in half.
- Begin from the smooth half, and cut roll into 1 inch circles.
- You should get 4 to 5 circles from each tortilla half depending on how well you tortilla"ends" hold together.
- Arrange your pinwheels cut side up on your serving platter.
- Cover and chill for up to one hour before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I make turkey lavash (pinwheels) all of the time my family loves them..One thing I found with them is to use whipped cream cheese and add ranch dressing to the cream cheese and mix until it is a spreadable consistency. I get one tub of the whipped cream cheese (it is a small tub). I also use the light italian flat out bread as well when I need to make them in a hurry..But they never last in my house!! Just made a batch and they are already gone lol.
Use the lavash bread, it is so much nicer to roll up and then you don't have the funny tortilla ends to deal with. I doubled the amount of filling and spread over five lavash breads. Got about 8 pinwheels out of each. I was really happy with how these turned out. Great party food. Easy to prep ahead, and no last minute heating necessary.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>