Sourdough Cheddar Bread Pudding
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, add diced slices of bread, stirring until coated.
- Add grated Cheddar cheese; stir well.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, with a wire whisk combine milk, egg yolks, salt, dry mustard, worsteshire sauce and cayenne pepper.
- Beat well.
- Pour over the bread cubes.
- In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, fold into bread mixture, toss until mixed.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 for 30 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Serves 6.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We both loved this-I think the sourdough bread really makes the difference! I made a half-recipe using one egg and sliced sharp Cheddar cut up into squares. When I added the cheese to the hot bread cubes I had to work fast as it started melting and sticking right away, but it made nice "crunchy cheese" to scrape into the baking dish with the rest of the ingredients. And, it's nice to have a recipe using an equal amount of egg yolks and whites... ;o) I served it with BBQ chicken breast, very tasty! Thanks yooper!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
What can I say about myself that hasn't already been mentioned in the police reports? Just kidding! I'm a single guy who loves to cook! Good thing, or I'd starve or go broke eating out! I love to read, horror and mysteries are my favorite. Love music, (except rap) and I'm a huge Green Bay Packer Fan!