Sourdough Bread Recipe
photo by palousebrand
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 500 g milled hard red spring wheat berries flour
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 250 g active starter (about a cup)
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- Sift the whole wheat flour through a sieve to remove large pieces of bran. Stir in the 2 teaspoons of table salt and ¼ cup warm water to the bran flakes and set aside.
- In large bowl, add your starter and stir in 1 ¼ cups of warm water.
- Stir in the sifted flour until mixture is fully hydrated.
- Cover your dough with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for an hour.
- After an hour, begin to stretch and fold the dough. With a wet hand, grab the bottom of the dough and stretch it over the top to the other side. Rotate the bowl of dough 90 degrees and repeat. Do this until you have stretched the dough a total of four times.
- Repeat this folding process two more times allowing the dough to rest 30 minutes between folds.
- Add the bran, water, and salt mixture and fold three more times again with 30 minute rests. The bran and salt will be incorporated as you fold.
- After you have a total of 6 folds, turn the dough onto a floured surface. Roll the dough between two floured hands to create a tight boule.
- Dust the top of the boule liberally with flour. Line a mixing bowl slightly larger than the size of your boule with a towel and flour it as well. Fold the towel to cover the bread and refrigerate overnight.
- On day two, remove the loaf from the refrigerator and heat oven with cast iron pot to 500 degrees. Once heated, remove the pot from the oven and carefully turn the dough into the pot. Remove the towel and score or snip the top of the bread. Cover and bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to bake 15-20 minutes longer until desired crust is reached.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
We grow garbanzo beans, split peas, lentils & wheat berries. Non-GMO Verified & Kosher Parve straight from our fields to you. Now we are bringing you gourmet recipes featuring our products for more check out www.palousebrand.com.