Souper Pot Roast
Great make-ahead dinner. I always double the gravy ingredients because it is scrumptious.
- Ready In:
- 4 -5 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can old fashioned tomato-rice condensed soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 carrots, sliced
- Brown roast in shortening - use a large covered roasting pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over browned roast.
- Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Place in 300°F oven for 3-1/2 hours.
- Turn meat after 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove roast, cool and wrap in aluminum foil - refrigerate.
- Remove bay leaf from gravy and strain through a fine sieve - refrigerate.
- Next day unwrap the roast and put in a covered roasting pan.
- Pour gravy over roast.
- Heat at 300°F for 1 hour.
- Great with mashed potatoes or wide egg noodles.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I wasn't sure why this called for being refrigerated overnight, so I skipped that and we ate it right out of the oven. Very tasty. I would make two changes next time. Cook it in a crockpot so oven isn't running that long, and use regular tomato soup. The rice doesn't really add anything, in my opinion. But overall a good recipe. Made for Spring 2012 Pick a Chef game.Reply