Slow Cooker BBQ Pork
photo by AndreaCooks
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon applewood liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- black pepper, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- salt, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- onion powder, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- garlic powder, for additional seasoning (to taste)
- Spray the inside of your crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place onions at the bottom of the crock pot.
- Trim visible fat from pork.
- Season your meat to your liking with salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sear pork on all sides. About 2-3 minutes per side.
- Once meat is seared, remove and place on top of onions.
- Using the same pan, add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer for 5 mins until sauce starts to light bubble, stirring occasionaly, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate all the drippings into the sauce.
- Pour over pork.
- Cook on 1 high for one hour, then reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 5-6 hours.
- About halfway through the cook time, remove visible oil floating in the surface with a ladle. This will ensure a delicious non-greasy sauce at the end!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!