Skordalia (A Garlic Sauce/Condiment)
Use this to accompany roasted beets, or fried salt cod, or any of the greek fritter recipes. It is a condiment and is used like a mayonnaise and/or dip.
- Ready In:
- 6 slices sourdough bread, thick,crusts removed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1/4 cup walnuts
- Soak bread in water.
- Squeeze dry between hands.
- Put in food processor along with garlic, pine nuts or walnuts.
- Process for 20 seconds.
- Slowly drop in olive oil and vinegar, alternately, until mixture binds into a thick mayonnaise-like sauce.
- (you may need slightly more oil and/or vinegar, depending on personal taste).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
It was delicious, and pungent with lots of garlic, so just a dab will do ya. As recommended,I used it on roasted beets, green beans and potatoes, served with some pan sauteed cod. I didn't have any sourdough bread and just used some good hearth baked bread instead. I kept wishing I had some olive bread because I think it would be terrific used in this recipe.I think I would really like Skordalia as a dip for veggies or a spread for veggie sandwiches better than as a condiment with the meal. Wish I had some Greek wine to go with this very Greek condiment. Glad you posted this interesting recipe,Evelyn.1Reply