Vegan Gluten Free Skordalia
photo by The Blender Girl
- Ready In:
2 small bowls
- 4 medium organic russet potatoes (floury, washed and scrubbed, but not peeled)
- 6 -12 raw garlic cloves, finely chopped to taste
- 1 cup raw almonds (blanched or slivered)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- celtic sea salt
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro or 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- Wash and scrub the potatoes, and cover them with cold water and a generous pinch of Celtic sea salt. Bring them to the boil, and then simmer for about half an hour until cooked. Alternatively, you could steam your potatoes.
- Mince your garlic, and then puree in the food processor with your olive oil and almonds to create a garlic paste.
- Drain your potatoes, and gently remove the skin. Gently mash your spuds or put through a ricer.
- Gently fold through half of the garlic paste, and then slowly add the lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- To finish – stir through some freshly chopped cilantro, parsley, or chives. I have put quantities as a guide only.
- I like to slowly add in a teaspoon of lemon juice and vinegar in small amounts, and then taste. It can get very rich and tart quickly. So I always hold back half of the ingredients and add each in alternatively to get exactly the right blend of flavours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!