Simple Italian Baked Chicken
I made this last night, "winging it" with stuff on hand. My husband said it was perfect and to make it again without changing a single thing. (I'm kind of known for inconsistent results due to making small changes that turn out badly). So to make sure I CAN make this again, I'm posting it. Hope you like it, too. It's super simple.
- Ready In:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons v 8 vegetable juice or 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Liberally salt and pepper BOTH sides of the chicken breast halves.
- Arrange chicken pieces in a glass baking dish just big enough to hold them without the pieces touching each other or the sides of the dish.
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl, heat butter and V-8 just enough for the butter to melt. (About 20 seconds on high).
- Stir in garlic powder, basil and oregano, crushing the dried herbs with your fingers as you add them to release more flavor.
- Pour butter-juice-herb mixture over the chicken, turning the chicken as necessary for complete coverage.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- If using the mozzarella, sprinkle it evenly over the chicken AFTER removing from the oven.
- Tent loosely with foil to melt the cheese and keep warm until serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I doubled this, and I am sure the breasts were actually touching in the pan. I was kind of surprised at how much flavor came from such an easy process. I added cheese to my other family members' chicken and returned it to the oven to melt instead of tenting with foil. My total cook time was about 30 minutes, plus about 5-10 more with the oven off (they were still quite moist). I served this with Recipe #293265 and instant mashed potatoes.