Shrimp and Avocado Salad With Grapefruit Vinaigrette
photo by Diet It Up
- Ready In:
- Brush shrimp with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill on medium high heat about 1 minute on each side or until cooked through.
- Cut avocado into slices and toss in a bowl with the juice from ½ a lime.
- Add slivered almonds to a dry pan and toast on medium high heat until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the grapefruits into segments, reserving the juice. You should get about ¼ cup of juice from two grapefruits. Set the fruit segments aside and combine the grapefruit juice, juice from ½ a lime, and ginger in a small bowl. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of olive oil while whisking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the spinach and grapefruit segments with the dressing.
- Top the salad with shrimp, avocado slices and toasted almonds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I’m a twenty something, alright, late twenty something woman living on Long Island and working at a publishing company in the ever stressful NYC. Food makes me happy. What’s not to love about a cheeseburger and fries with a huge chocolate shake on the side? Come on, it’s a match made in heaven that would put a smile on even the grumpiest face. Unfortunately, I’ve been battling a pesky weight problem for what feels like an eternity. To make matters worse, I recently found out I have a blood sugar condition that will likely lead to diabetes. Doesn’t that sound like a recipe for disaster? So, I desperately needed to find a way to still love food, but also squeeze into a pair of skinny jeans. The solution, you ask? That’s a little tricky. I don’t believe in surviving off the frozen food aisle’s never-ending supply of frostbitten chemical concoctions. And the thought of eating a strict lettuce and water diet makes me want to throw myself off a building. So, what’s a gal to do? I learned to Diet-It-Up. I love to cook and I’m always finding ways to take my favorite recipes and shave off a few calories, eliminate some of the processed ingredients and overhaul it in a way that makes it healthier. I’ve mastered every diet under the sun and while Weight Watchers© and The South Beach Diet© can be very successful, they’re tough to stick with when you just want to eat something that tastes good. I don’t have any fancy formal credentials and I’m not going to preach to you about carbs or fat grams. I just want you to enjoy tasty, delicious meals without the next-day calorie guilt. Mix in a jog or two at the gym and you’re on your way to a healthier life. I’m beginning to collect some of my recipes here. I invite you to Diet-It-Up with me. If we’re good all week, maybe we can even sneak in a few sips of that chocolate shake, wink wink.