Sesame Flank Steaks with Grilled Green Onions
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Grilled flank steak with a wonderful Asian marinade! A friend from Minneapolis emailed me this recipe, knowing I would like it, and she was right! Prep time does not include 6 hour or overnight marinating time.
- Ready In:
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) flank steaks, trimmed of all excess fat
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sesame oil, divided
- cooking oil, for greasing grill
- 2 bunches green onions
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Note)
- Place steaks in shallow nonreactive dish, which will hold them comfortably in a single layer.
- In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce and 6 tablespoons of the sesame oil.
- Pour marinade over the meat.
- Cover and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, turning several times.
- When ready to cook, lightly oil grill rack and arrange 5 inches from heat source.
- Cut off root ends and all but 4 inches from green stems of green onions.
- Place onions in shallow dish and brush all over with remaining 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil.
- Set aside.
- When grill is hot, remove steaks from marinade.
- Lightly pat dry with paper towels.
- Place steaks on grill and cook 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- When done, place on platter and cover lossely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Grill green onions, turning them until slightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To serve, slice meat diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange meat and grilled onions on serving platter and season with salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Note: To toast sesame seeds, place them in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Toast, stirring, until seeds are golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION