Sausage Broccoli Egg Casserole
This is great for a light dinner or a weekend brunch! You can use the small breakfast pork sausages in place of the Italian sausages if you are making this for brunch, also a 10-ounce package frozen broccoli cuts, thawed may be subbed for the fresh broccoli.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 green onions, chopped (or use a small yellow onion)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 firm plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or a medium-size oval casserole dish.
- In a skillet cook the sausage meat with onions over medium-high heat, stirring until the sausage is browned; drain fat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in cooked broccoli and 3/4 cup shredded cheese; toss to combine, transfer and spread into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl combine the eggs with 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, cayenne, ricotta cheese and milk, then season with salt and pepper; pour over the broccoli/sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese (or you can use cheddar in place of the Parmesan) then arrange the tomato slices over the top.
- Bake covered for about 30 minutes; remove from oven and uncover.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.