- Ready In:
- 76hrs 30mins
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 whole allspice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 lbs rump roast or 4 lbs boned chuck roast
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup gingersnaps, crushed
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, Burgundy, onion, carrot, celery, allspice, cloves, salt and pepper.
- Wipe meat with damp paper towels and place in marinade; refrigerate, covered, e days, turning meat occasionally.
- Remove meat from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Wipe meat dry with paper towels then coat with 2 tbsp flour.
- In hot oil in Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown meat well on all sides.
- Pour in marinade; simmer, covered, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat in tender.
- Remove meat from Dutch oven.
- Press liquid and vegetables throug coarse sieve; skim off fat.
- Measure 3 1/2 cups liquid (add water, if necessary) and return liquid to Dutch oven.
- Mix remaining 2 tbsp flour with 1/3 cup cold water and the sugar.
- Stir into liquid; bring to boiling, stirring.
- Stir in gingersnaps.
- Return meat to Dutch oven.
- Spoon gravy over meat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Remove meat to heated platter.
- Pour some of gravy over it.
- Serve meat, thinly sliced, with more gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!