Rustic Garlic and Herb Bread Abm
photo by Riaketty
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1⁄3 cup milk, can use lowfat
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white bread flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat gluten
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fast-rising active dry yeast
- Add ingredients to the bread machine, according to the manufacturer's directions.
- I mix all my flours, gluten and grains together, well, before adding to the bread machine.
- Add the salt in one corner of the pan and the sugar in another.
- Make a well in the flour and add the yeast in the middle.
- Set on basic setting with normal crust and check at the end of 5 minutes to see if more liquid or flour is needed.
- This makes a one pound loaf.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Mmmm, very good! I made this by hand, and like a previous reviewer, baked it at about 340. Took about 50 minutes. I waited for the tell-tale 'crackle' of the crust.<br/>Wonderful flavor. I forgot to add the garlic (although I minced it... sigh) but it was wonderful anyway. I can see adding some shredded cheese on top before baking to make a cheesy herb bread.<br/>Thanks!
Absolutely loved this bread! I made it in my breadmachine, on the dough setting, and then shaped it into a loaf, and allowed it to rise for a couple of hours. I baked it at 350 for 40 minutes, and it's perfect! I did use 2 tsp of fresh garlic and basil (each). Thanks so much for sharing this fantastic recipe!