Russian Style Salad(Salat Olivier)
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- 2 medium waxy potatoes
- 3 carrots, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, seeded, diced
- 1 large deli style pickle, diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed (or canned, drained peas)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Place the potatoes and carrots into a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, and gently boil over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes for the potato and 20 minutes for the carrots.
- Move vegetables as done to a plate and let cool completely.
- Discard cooking water.
- Peel the potato and carrots and cut each into 1/4" dice.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- Add onions, cucumbers, pickles, peas, eggs, dill, paarsley, mayonnaise, and vinegar to the bowl and stir until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW!!! Sharon, this such a yummy twist on potato salad! I really like the addition of dill and cucumber! It makes the salad taste so fresh! Just plain YUMMY! :) I was very eager to see how everything would go together and especially curious about the addition of peas. But then somehow I forgot to add them in and didnt even notice until now. The salad in my opinion didnt need them. But Im sure theyd be a lovely addition. Since I luved this so much, Ill definitely make it again and then use the peas. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this tasty recipe with us, Sharon! Made and reviewed for 1-2-3-Hit-Wonders Octobre 09.
This is a good potato salad. I used baby carrots (as that was all I had) so I boiled those in a seperate pot from the potatoes. I mixed all but the potatoes together and then, when they were ready, just added them in. I used fat free mayo and left out the dill because I was out. We did think this made a whole lot more then 4 servings. More like 8 -10 for a side dish.