- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed slightly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb butter, melted & cooled
- 3 egg whites
- 1.5 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 2 cups flour, white
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 16 ounces black caviar or 16 ounces lox
- Dissolve yeast in water and let set for 3-5 minutes.
- In large bowl, mix 1/4 cup buckwheat flour and 2 cups white flour.
- Make a well in the flour and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Slowly mix with a wood spoon, then beat mixture until smooth.
- Cover and let sit in warm spot for 3 hours.
- Stir vigorously and add the rest of the buckwheat flour.
- Cover and let sit in warm spot for another 2 hours.
- Stir and slowly add milk, egg yolks, salt, sugar, 3 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into dough.
- Cover and let sit for another 30 minutes.
- Coat the bottom of a frying pan with butter and heat.
- Place 3 tbsp batter in pan & fry 2-3 minutes.
- Brush with butter and flip, and fry other side 2-3 minutes.
- Keep warm in 200 degree oven until all blini are made.
- Serve with melted butter, sour cream, caviar and or lox.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!